Monday, July 23, 2007

Thing #3 - 22 squats

Keeping active is an important part of anyone's life. As I work in an office with little need to be active, it's incumbent upon me to find ways to stay healthy and in good shape. Walking the dogs, playing tennis, and getting up from my chair to take breaks at work are all critical to keeping a fresh, creative mind.

One of the easiest and best exercises for my body type is squats. I try to do a set of 22 squats, at least 5 times a week. This is a great exercise for leg muscles, of course, but it is a surprisingly good core exercise as well. Squats are well-known for being a tried-and-true method of keeping your glutes firm, which is a nice additional plus. I truly recommend squats to anyone who hasn't tried them before. Stand near a wall when you start out, in case the up and down motion makes you dizzy. You can then use the wall as a stabilizer. The only squats caveat I have -- if you're a guy -- is to wear somewhat snug shorts or pants, so you don't find yourself in an unpleasant situation when you're at the lowest motion of the squat.

22 squats, along with whatever exercise best suits you, helps get through 23 things!

No comments: