Thursday, July 26, 2007

Thing #3 - A hundred pairs of wings

"They left then in the morning, a hundred pairs of wings in the light moved together"

When my brother and I were kids, our parents surprised us one early Saturday morning and packed us up in the car. They drove us to the Horicon Marsh, a natural wetland in central Wisconsin that is a preferred stopoff for thousands of migrating birds.

"In the colors of the morning I looked to the clouds in the cirrus sky and they'd gone."

The Marsh is the sort of place that isn't advertised, isn't structured to be kid-friendly, and has none of the amenities of a tourist trap. But for anyone able to appreciate it, it is truly one of the most amazing natural locations in the United States.

"Across the marshes, across the fields below...if only to take me with them there"

My brother and I munched our Bugles snacks, a rare treat provided by our parents, as we looked through binoculars upon the birds soaring and landing. What seemed like thousands of feathered creatures cascading and rising against a perfectly sunny blue Midwest sky. A cacophony of birdsongs and calls, filling the air with sound but not noise. The day was a memory of family and nature, one held close to my heart and never to be forgotten.

"Tell me the song that you sing in the trees in the dawning...tell me the part that shines in your heart and the rays of love forever...please take me there"

1 comment:

JimD said...

That was beautiful and surprising. Thanks.